It's Time To Think About Fall Color
You might still be feeling the heat of summer but that warm sunshine will fade into crisp autumn air before you know it! There’s no better time to start getting your fall color order ready and scheduled.
Of course, mums and sunflowers are great options for your fall landscape, but what else can spice up your garden beds? Here are the top 7 plants we recommend incorporating into your fall landscape this season – in addition to some of those mums of course!
1. Coneflower (Echinacea) – Plant these beauties once and they will keep coming back. They love the sun, provide a wide variety of color, and add height into your bed. This plant is heat and drought resistant and will bloom for months.
2. Sedum – This show stopping plant blooms in late August, the flowers start out pink and then deepen to a dark purple or rust color. The bloom will last through October and into November, depending on the climate.
3. Spirea – This flowering shrub will provide interest from spring to fall. The foliage on this plant changes from bronze in spring to green in summer to copper in fall.
4. Celosia – Long lasting velvety texture plumes that range in color from burgundy to orange to yellow. These interest plants can reach up to 2 feet tall and draw attention whether planted in the ground or in a decorative planter.
5. Ornamental Kale & Peppers – These fall “flower” plants are an easy way to add fun to your arrangements. Ornamental Kale comes in varying colors from green to purple while ornamental peppers look like tiny Christmas tree lights in shades of yellow to red. Both thrive in the cool weather and perform great in containers.
6. Pansy - These showy plants thrive in cooler mild temperatures making them a great option in your fall planting, use them in your decorative pots or sprinkled throughout your garden bed.
7. Purple Fountain Grass – Don’t forget about ornamental grasses! This extremely low maintenance plant does well when used in beds, borders, and containers. It tops out at 3 feet tall, so make sure you give it plenty of room to grow.
Did you know that our team here at Terra can select and install your fall planters without you even lifting a finger? Give us a call to get an estimate for your seasonal color or landscape upgrade today!